It is a significant investment to replace siding, but it can also yield significant returns if done correctly. An attractive home exterior will attract more potential buyers if you plan to sell your home in the future. Installing a new siding can completely transform the look of your home.
It is helpful to determine how much material you will need to estimate the cost of materials before you begin your siding replacement project or prior to hiring a siding contractor. The following guide will help you determine how much siding you might need for siding replacement. As we begin with the guide, remember one unit of siding equals 100 square feet.
Learn how to measure siding by following these steps. Below are some quick and simple calculations similar to siding calculators available online.
- Each side should be measured for height and width. Total square feet are calculated by multiplying the height by the width for each side.
- In addition to the sides, make sure to take into account gables, dormers, and other areas that are not included in the sides. Multiply the triangle area by half of the base length when measuring triangle areas.
- Take measurements of every window, door, and other non-siding area. For windows, add 15 square feet and for doors, 20 square feet.
- Total the square footage of your home’s sides and the additional areas.
- To calculate the total, subtract the square footage of the uncovered areas.
- Calculate how many squares of siding you will need by multiplying the number by 100.
Check out these tips to avoid mistakes and complete your siding replacement project perfectly.
- To account for mistakes, add 5-10% to the siding. The extra strips and spacing tools can always be used for repairs or starter strips.
- To get the most accurate estimate, you should also include trim and accessories in your siding measurement.
- Calculate large areas with standard shapes. Consider dividing an irregular shape into triangles and then squares and calculating the area. Calculate in a way you’re comfortable with.
- The first thing you should do is repair your windows and doors. Make sure the repairs are done correctly by hiring a contractor.
Hire Professionals for Your Siding Replacement
A trained professional should perform siding replacements. Valor Home is a reliable and professional siding contractor. Our team of technicians is highly skilled, licensed, and insured. In addition, we guarantee long-lasting results that are of high quality.
You can count on Valor Home for quality craftsmanship, quality materials, and on-time completion of your project at a fair price. Make your siding replacement project a reality today by calling us today.